Thursday, April 06, 2006

Let's all be like Harry and tell Bush to be ashamed

It's making its way around the blogosphere now. stood up and told George Bush that he hopes Bush is ashamed of himself (Crooks and Liars has video). First read about it on FireDogLake and considered sending Senator Durbin a copy of the news article as an example of a citizen with a backbone. Then thought why bother? Neither Illinois Senators Durbin or Obama are going to lead on saving the Republic.

Why do we only talk to our Senators and Congresspeople? They don't listen anyway. Republicans rubber stamp everything Bush does. Most Dems (not Feingold and Harkin) are too afraid to standup for their own Congressional authority. Let those of us who don't like what Bush is doing tell him. How many of us simply refuse to bang on the White House door to remind the would-be dictator that it's the American people's house, not the wingnut policy making bureau?

Here's what Harry Taylor said according to the White House transcript.

You never stop talking about freedom, and I appreciate that. But while I listen to you talk about freedom, I see you assert your right to tap my telephone, to arrest me and hold me without charges, to try to preclude me from breathing clean air and drinking clean water and eating safe food. If I were a woman, you'd like to restrict my opportunity to make a choice and decision about whether I can abort a pregnancy on my own behalf. ...What I wanted to say to you is that I -- in my lifetime, I have never felt more ashamed of, nor more frightened by my leadership in Washington, including the presidency, by the Senate, and -- And I would hope -- I feel like despite your rhetoric, that compassion and common sense have been left far behind during your administration, and I would hope from time to time that you have the humility and the grace to be ashamed of yourself inside yourself.

We can't count on the Congress or the Supreme Court to restrain Bush. We should assert to Bush he's not Dictator of the United States. It may not work, but look at the attention Harry Taylor has focused on this sorry excuse of a president. Maybe we can keep Bush's crimes and anti-American policies in the spotlight.

Call or write George Bush. Then send off your comments in a Letter to the Editor.

Thank you Harry Taylor for speaking truth to power.

Categories: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home